Tuesday 4 May 2021

Nutritional therapist onboard May 2021

 

This year I have restarted the Plant Paradox diet again, in the hope that we could work out why it partially helped me for short periods last year and why my symptoms kept returning. Only this time we have approached a lovely Nutritional therapist who has experience of M.E. to help. 

Following a thorough assessment a plan was devised. The 1st 5-6 weeks has consisted of eating pretty close to the Plant Paradox diet but with some modifications, to eat certain amounts of protein, carbs, fats and calories specific to my needs. A plan was put together including other suggestions that may help benefit my well being and recovery, this included 

various supplements at specific times, 

looking at my sleep pattern and circadian rhythm - getting daylight daily to help, avoiding blue screens at night etc

meditation practice and mindfullness - bought a book to help me with this

trying different methods to stimulate and exercise my vagal tone - I chose deep breathing exercises ( such as Wim Hoff method)

tests to determine any possible causes or exacerbating factors, indicators of issues etc.

As the weeks progressed we reduced oxalates too - something I had started to do 2 months ago as I suspected foods high in oxalates were producing worse symptoms - specificly pain.

After 6 weeks my pain has reduced massively, but my cognitive dysfunction is considerably worse - with more confusion. I started the plan on 23/3/21 - it is now 4/5/21. So that's one symptom improved to start with. 

 Test results are back and I am waiting for an appointment in a few days time to discuss results and a continuing plan of action. In the meantime I have commenced digestive enzymes to help my body break down foods - as my gall bladder was removed a couple of years back.

As usual I like to add any positives in the balance out the health issues - I've not managed to do much lately with very low energy and severe brain fog, but its been amazing to discover that I was awarded SWPP Plant and fungi photographer of the year for 2020 - this is a huge achievement for me and very special for me. I feel truly honoured to win this. So made the effort to get a pic of me with my trophy and certificate. The winning image is below. 



UPDATED 19/4/21

Last week we had a catch up with the Nutritional therapist who rounded up the test results along with my experiences. Tests indicate-

bacterial gut imbalance

mould 

low dopamine and seratonin - common in inflamation

oxalates a little raised

low vit B6, vit C & NAC all indicative of oxalate involvement

low folate metabolism - (required for energy)

low antioxidant/detoxification status

low mitochondrial dysregulation

suspect ability converting energy from carbs

As a result of this info I am continuing on the low lectin, low oxalate nutrition plan just for this month whilst slowly introducing numerous supplements ( such as digestive enzymes, vit B1 and a few other things) to hopefully help reduce brain fog, build up my digestive system and to help with some of the above issues. We have liased with my GP and Im having a few bloods tests this week. We have an aim for me to commence a keto diet 4 weeks into the new supplement protocol, fully supported, checking in with both my GP ( who is incredibly supportive of this whole plan)  and nutritional therapist. Ive really simplified the plan here - in reality its quite complex and I will be taking a large amount of tablets to address different issues at different points, and nutrition is approached carefully. Not everything can be addressed at once. But slowly moving forward, pain is still greatly reduced bar 2 days out of the last 2-3 weeks.


No comments:

Post a Comment